Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Mrs. Fritz's Class

We received some mail today that might possibly be the best thing I have ever seen.  In addition to the THREE boxes of random goodies they sent to me (including 48 colors of crayons and UNO cards!!) they also each wrote me a short letter telling me what they have thought of my service.  I am amazed at these kids.  One boy, Patrick, who is 10 years old, told me an epic tale of how his basketball team overcame their opponents in overtime to win the championship.  His last sentences: "Thank you for serving our country.  I don't think I could ever in my whole life serve for our amazing country because I don't have enough courage to do that.  Thank you again.  Bye!"  Honestly I never considered it to be a courageous thing I am doing.  Maybe its not that I have the courage myself to do this, but that each one of these kids and all the people at home give me that courage with their hopes and prayers and well wishes.  I have a few more excerpts to add in.  Eddie has a great story about him and his friends doing a Spongebob Squarepants song in the talent show.  He ends with "I truly admire the way you fearlessly fight for our country."

Leena loves dogs and just recently got a new puppy, a black and white terrier mix named Max.  She ends her letter; "You really work hard.  We all appreciate you and right now I admire you.  You're a role model to me.  you fight for your country.  You show you're a true American.  you don't care what happens, you know you have the strength to defeat anything.  you are an amazing person, a true citizen, and a true soldier."  These words mean so much more to me than any newspaper editor or self-serving politician.  I have never felt so supported by total strangers.

Calvin loves chess and came in first during the Chess Tournament.  Jalen loves the Chicago Bulls and is happy they are in the playoffs.  He ends his letter with "Thank you for protecting us from danger.  I appreciate your time for fighting to keep our freedom.  You are very brave and bold for doing this."  Riley likes to go to the movies and Extreme Trampoline, his favorite team is the Blackhawks.  Mine too, I hope they can win another Stanley Cup when I am home to watch it!  Ava is going to get a shelter dog when her dad graduates dental school.  She loves dogs and has a hilarious tooth joke at the end of her letter.

The last letter is from the teacher Janice Fritz.  She explains how excited the kids were and how much they would like to write me back.  I know that by the time I mail a letter they will be on break so now I will try to get a call out to them at school.  She ends her letter, "Thank you so much for serving our country.  I would think being away from home for so long, and in such a stressful situation, would be extremely difficult."

These are the reason I fight.  These letters, these wishes are what give soldiers the courage to fight every day for every inch on the most bleak battlefields on Earth.  The love and warmth from home can still be felt 10,000 miles away in Afghanistan.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, I am blown away. I am so happy that those kids were able to express how the rest of feel; pride and gratitude!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is completely adorable and heartwarming.

    Also, would you mind if I linked your blog on mine? If not, that's fine. Just message me either way.

    ReplyDelete